Attire & Hair
The following is a guide to appropriate clothing and hair for dance class. If you have any questions, please ask your teacher.
General requirements for all classes:
- Attire: Please no stocking feet or tights without shoes. Baggy clothing is not acceptable, as it is difficult for instructors to see placement in over-sized outfits. Please no bare bellies or midriffs showing, and shorts must come to mid-thigh level. Students should wear appropriate athletic undergarments (e.g., sports bras).
- Hair: Long hair must be pulled up in a ponytail or bun. Short hair must be pulled away from face with barrettes or a headband. If students need help, an instructor or staff member will be happy to give a quick lesson.
- Jewelry: Large jewelry can be distraction and poses a potential danger in the classroom. Please remove all jewelry before attending class. Exceptions may be made for small items (such as small stud earrings).
- Creative Ballet and Ballet/Tap: Leotard and tights or shorts and a T-shirt. For Creative Ballet, bare feet or ballet shoes with elastic. For Ballet/Tap, ballet shoes with elastic and black tap shoes with tap ties or elastic straps. On ballet shoes, elastics will be double-knotted and cut for the safety of the dancers.
- Tap: Any style or color leotard, stretch pants or shorts. T-shirts, tank tops and pants should not be baggy. Shorts shorter than mid-thigh must be worn over tights. Tap shoes; not heels (any color for class, black for performance). For younger students, please replace laces with elastic. Level VI+ may be required to purchase heeled tap shoes.
- Jazz: Leotard and tights or stretch pants/shorts. Shorts shorter than mid-thigh length must be worn over tights. Solid colored and non-mesh clothing is preferred over prints. Jazz shoes; not sneakers (any color for class, black for performance).Teen Jazz VII will also be required to have tan character shoes. Option B: Fitted pants or shorts, fitted solid-colored T-shirt or tank top. Black jazz shoes.
- Lyrical: Any style or color leotard and jazz pants/shorts. Shorts shorter than mid-thigh must be worn over tights. Lyrical I, Teen Lyrical I and Teen Lyrical II must wear half-sole lyrical footwear or “footundeez” (any color for class nude/tan for performance). Teen Lyrical III and IV will dance barefoot.
- Ballet: Traditionally ballet dress codes function with a binary understanding of gender, and assign specific attire requirements to male-identifying and female-identifying dancers. We welcome students of all gender identities, and allow all dancers to choose from any of the options listed for their class level below:
Beginning Ballet (5+, 7+, 10+), Ballet I, Ballet II and Ballet III: Option A: Leotard of any color, and footed tights (pink or flesh tone of the dancer’s choosing), ballet shoes (pink or flesh tone of the dancer’s choosing). Skirts are allowed, but large, puffy or long skirts are discouraged. Option B: Pants or shorts that are not too baggy, fitted solid colored T-shirt. Black ballet shoes.Hair that is long enough should be tightly secured away from the face.
Ballet IV, V, VI and VII:
Option A: Leotard of any color, and footed tights (pink or flesh tone of the dancer’s choosing), ballet shoes (pink or flesh tone of the dancer’s choosing).
Option B: Fitted t- shirt or tank top of any color, opaque black footed tights or leggings with black ballet shoes, dance belt as necessary.
Additional warmup layers are allowed as class begins.
Hair that is long enough should be tightly secured away from the face in a bun or comparable style.
Same as the above listed options for Ballet IV-VII, with the addition of demi-pointe or pointe shoes as appropriate (pink or flesh tone of the dancer’s choosing).
Teen Beginning, I, II and III:
Any of the above listed attire and shoe options. Dancers in these levels may also choose other fitted clothing that allows the instructor to clearly see torso, knees, ankles and feet.
Hair that is long enough should be tightly secured away from the face.
- Hip Hop: Only clean sport-type shoes are allowed on our dance floors. Students must wipe feet before walking onto dance floor. Athletic tops and bottoms are recommended for class. Baggy clothes must be kept to a minimum so instructors can see placement. Shorts and crop tops are not permitted.
- Modern: Leotard and tights or stretch pants/shorts and a fitted shirt. Shorts shorter than mid-thigh length must be worn over tights. Solid color clothing is preferred over prints. Bare feet.